The project LIFE+ PLASTIC KILLER main objective is to SUBSTITUTE CURRENT X-RAY DETECTION-BASED MACHINE IN THE RECYCLED WOOD CLEANING PROCESS WITH A NEAR INFRARED (NIR) AND VISIBLE OPTICAL DETECTION SYSTEM, contributing to -pave the way for a new generation of MDF panels produced by recycled materials, compliant with standards; -limit (or even avoiding) the use of virgin wood, supporting the non deforestation with a beneficial consequence for the environment, as well as positive economic impacts; – foster the recycle approach in the EU, open up new business and jobs opportunities.
Project Full Title : Innovative plastic pollutants removal for efficient recycled wood panels production
Project Acronym : PLASTIC KILLER
The increasing demand for recycled wood to produce particleboard and MDF panels has resulted in the need to improve the cleaning process of post-consumer wood (e.g. pallets\wood packaging material, demolition waste, used furniture), eliminating in a more effective and efficient way plastic impurities. Now MDF panels are mainly obtained from virgin wood and only a small number of producers use post-consumer recycled wood (up to 10%, based on PAL internal studies on the market), because
- the process requires multiple steps of cleaning that are not enough to completely remove impurities
- MDF panels are of low quality and not compliant with EN 622-5 and EPF Standard for delivery conditions of recycled Wood.
- there are not systems in the market capable of achieving a good removal of impurities (see the State of Art paragraph).
LIFE+ PLASTIC KILLER main objective is to set up and demonstrate the viability of an energy efficient pilot plant able to finely separate post-consumer recycled wood from plastics impurities, in order to use it primarily for MDF panels production and secondarily as “purified” biomass.
This project will contribute to:
- pave the way for a new generation of more sustainable and affordable MDF panels produced by up to 60% of post-consumer recycled wood, compliant with EN 622-5 and EPF Standards;
- produce “purified” post-consumer wood that can be also introduced in the EU market as biomass for energy production, reducing the dioxin produced during the combustion;
- limit the use of virgin wood, supporting the non deforestation through the prolonged lifecycle of the recycled wood;
- foster the post-consumer wood recycle approach in the EU, open up new business and jobs opportunities; this also will contribute in the middle perspective to decongesting dumps.
- demonstrate the socio-economic and environmental sustainability, the potentialities of market replication and penetration of the proposed pilot plant.
Proyecto: LIFE PLASTIC KILLER
Duración: 48 meses
Presupuesto total: 1,874,423.00 €
Financiación Life+: 880,818.00 €
Número proyecto: LIFE12 ENV/IT/000374
Coordinador: PAL srl
Socios: European Federation of Woodworking Machinery Manufacturers (EUMABOIS), Belgium Università degli Studi di Padova, Italy